After winning the state championship in 2014, the Godwin golf team nearly brought home the state championship trophy for the second consecutive year.

The team lost several starters from last year’s team to graduation including one of the most accomplished athletes in recent history at Godwin, Mark Lawrence.

However, the team returned multiple key starters as well.  Returners David Qin (Sr.), Diana Domenech (So.), and Andrew Kennedy (Jr.) were all vital to the team’s success.

Rounding out the rest of the starting lineup was senior Cal O’Donnell and juniors Adam Collins and Jack Keller.

“Coming into the season, we knew it would be a tough task to beat Deep Run to repeat, but we knew that if everyone played to our potential we could have a shot,” said O’Donnell.

In the regional tournament, the team held a big lead after the first day, but Deep Run surged by GHS to win the regional title on the second day.  The team was able to finish second in the tournament and qualify for states.

Godwin went on to finish third in the state tournament behind Deep Run and Thomas Jefferson.

“We knew the conference and regional tournaments would be very close.  At each event, someone stepped up with a great performance to pull us through.  This was another great group of young men and young ladies that came together as a team as the season progressed,” said head coach Thomas Hoy.

1 Comment
  1. john hill 3 years ago

great job boys